Thursday, April 4, 2013

Questions and courage will help the Kids

I'm continuing with my theme of how to help young Moms in our communities, because no-one grows up in isolation and we can all play a part - however small - to help lift vulnerable kids out of the mire of despair and give them a chance of making something out of there lives.

Today the CDC reports that 1 in 5 teenage births is a "repeat" and that's a massive challenge for young people to take on and to survive! What that sort of information suggests to me is that it's not just a matter of better birth control - that's vitally important too, but even after decades of information about the pill and condoms only 22% of teenagers used effective methods of contraception - but's it also involves education, literacy, numeracy, parenting skills, having someone they can trust (and for many, that person may not actually be in the community where they currently live), learning the basics of budgeting money, good health information, basic dietary advice to fit their location and their income .. it's a long list and it needs to be accessible to the Mom wherever she is: and that's where the genius of social media may help us play a big part.

Question: Would you be prepared to offer simple, on-line support to a young Mom in your area?

I ask this because it does raise the issue of how much do "I" want to be involved: how can I protect my own identity: what if "they" get to depend on me too much, and "I've got my own problems to contend with"? All of these questions and more need to be asked and some answers found before any website is "switched on": and you, my dear friends, have some of the answers and many of the questions that need to be aired.

But you know what? Despite the tension between our desire to help and our worries about what might be asked of us, none of it compares to the probably life long misery, hurt and destruction that many of these young Moms and their kids face if we people of good will don't at least attempt to do something, however small or seemingly insignificant.

This project will take months/years to get "legs", but I have real faith that eventually something of worth will be created to help those who are most vulnerable. I hope some of you will join me in the journey.
SPREAD THE WORD

image
Ampersands & angle brackets need to be encoded.

No comments: